Monday, August 26, 2019

Email update to my work colleagues about my Ramsey Hunt Syndrome 8.26.19




From: Susan Smith
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 1:54 PM
To:
Subject: Hoping for 9/3

Dear,

It’s been really down and then up since my last email  a week ago.

Last Tuesday night, I went to the Urgent Care after urinating blood and got my first bladder infection.  It’s likely not related to RHS nor the meds I am taking, so was probably just a random thing that happened.  I got antibiotics, spent a few more days in bed and it’s better now.

On Friday, I went to the Neurologist and he confirmed I have Ramsey Hunt Syndrome.  He changed my medicine from Gabapentin, which is mostly used for nerve pain, to Gralise, which is a name-brand med specifically for Shingles.  Whereas Gabapentin is a clunky medicine and can have 12 pills a day, Gralise is only 2 pills at dinner and so it’s much easier to take.  I am thus very hopeful that the Gralise will help with the pain until this Shingles virus goes away.  It’s been difficult for me to accept that I have a “very” rare illness and the Neurologist said I’m in the 8% of RHS who do not get the rash. 

The Neurologist also said I can return to work as soon as the pain is gone and I am ready, so I am hoping for 9/3 with all my might.

The Gralise is supposed to work quickly and I see two positive signs already from it.  I had a good weekend because I went for a 2 hour walk on Sat and we went to see a movie yesterday.  It felt so good to get out and feel okay.  Then, I woke up today w/o pain for the first time since this all started and that was really nice. 

I’m at 11 weeks and my face looks pretty normal.  My left eye still doesn’t blink and my left check is still swollen. 

I know there’s been a lot of change at work, like usual, with the new phone system, new SF file statuses, a new hire class and a new training site.  Wow, good job!

I’m sorry I could not help the team with Fall A, B or C, but I’m hoping to contribute to Fall D!

So, hopefully I’ll see you guys in one week from tomorrow.  I hope I have a good week and you too.  I hope this Gralise medicine works for me.  I hope the pain goes away.  I hope I get better soon.  I hope the team makes Fall C.  I hope to return to work on 9/3,

Susan



No comments: