Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Bell's Palsy update to my colleagues at work on 7/29/19


From: Susan Smith
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 10:50 AM
To:
Subject: 7/29 check-in

Hi,

It’s been a little over 6 weeks now since my life changed with this diagnosis.  July is almost over and busy times approach in August with school starting for my boys as well as soccer and piano.  Gabriel starts middle school in 6th grade and Philip will be in 3rd grade.  Jimmy’s mom leaves on Friday and Jimmy’s will work lots of OT in August.

No, I’m not better yet.  I really wish I was, so much.  People keep asking me if I’m better and when I will return to work.  It’s hard telling people that I’m not better yet and I don’t know when I will return to work.  While I have more facial movement and I almost look normal, I do not feel normal and that is really frustrating.  The pain in my back skull and left ear persist.  Bell’s Palsy sucks.  This sucks

Last week I went to a new doctor and they took some x-rays that turned out good, but they want to get a MRI now of my neck and spine since I’ve had lots of pain in my left neck and my left arm & left leg feel weak (and that’s not symptomatic of Bell’s Palsy).  What if I have a pinched nerve somewhere that is causing all of this?  I asked that doctor, “When will I know that I can return to work?” and he said, “You can return to work when you can make it through a few days in a row of not having to rest and not feeling pain, and you can make it to bedtime still feeling energetic.”  I’ve not had that happen yet.  And I want to add in, “while not on medicine.”

I’ve been inconsistent with the medicine because I don’t like taking pills.  I’ll take the medicine and then feel okay, so I stop taking the pills and then feel bad, so I start taking the pills and feel good and then stop taking the pills and feel bad.  A cycle.  So, I’m going to be consistent w/ taking the medicine for a while.  But, I will want to feel good off of medicine because I would not want to return to work while I’m medicated and feeling good, then stop the medicine and feel bad again and have to leave work again. 

Geez this is so slow. 

This is my last week of sick time.  Isn’t it amazing that I was able to take 7 weeks of sick leave?  I’m so grateful.  I mean, I did not work in July and will get a full paycheck for July.  That’s amazing.  Then, I have 4.5 weeks of vacation time.  Gosh I hope to return to work in August.  It would be very hard to still be on FMLA in Sept and not get a paycheck.  Plus, I miss interacting with so many awesome people, from my colleagues to the students we serve.

Typically, I am a positive person and I know you guys know this, but I admit this is just so hard and such a struggle, physically and mentally.  I want this to go away and I want this all just to be a memory.  Soon.  Now!  But, this is slow and extremely frustrating. 

I really miss you, all of you, our CSU Global family.  I’m cheering on the Enrollment team for Fall B, esp since it starts on my birthday. I’m really hoping turning 38 will be a new, good chapter in my life.

Oh, and I’m listening to Dare to Lead by B Brown on Audible.  So good! 

Susan

No comments: