Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Bell's Palsy 6/29/19 update to my colleagues at work


From: Susan Smith [mailto:susan.smith@csuglobal.edu]
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 11:24 AM
To:
Subject: end of June check-in

Hello,

I am writing to check-in.  

I was diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy two weeks ago and the past two weeks have been one of the most difficult experiences of my life in terms of pain.  It seems there is a broad spectrum with Bell’s Palsy in terms of duration and intensity.  This second week was worse than the first because the relentlessness of the pain was debilitating.  I’ve learned so much about the power and depth of pain.  While I know it could be worse, the only way I can describe this illness for me so far is “pain.”  And, I know it could be worse.  I tell myself I will get better.  This will go away.  For now though, this has been a terrible and horrible time for me, crippling.

The flowers that CSU Global sent me are right by my bed and they comfort me.  I cannot do much due to the pain, so I often just lay in bed and stare at the flowers.  Thank you again for the beautiful flowers that continue to bring me gratitude. 

I’ve been so bad that I went to the dr again yesterday and they pumped me up with some super powerful pain medication, which I both hate and appreciate.  He also suggested getting a MRI to see what’s causing so much pain as well as maybe see why my left arm and left leg are getting weak, tingly and numb.  I mean, did I maybe actually have a stroke and the Bell’s Palsy is a false diagnosis?  So, I will likely do that this weekend if it gets bad enough at an ER or wait until next week for an out-patient MRI (my preference).

I share this with you all to help you explain that I may likely not return to work on July 8th.  There’s no way I could work if I am then as I am now.  I cannot even take care of myself, nor my kids.  My boys have been staying at my parents and my mother-in-law arrives today from CR for five weeks.  I’m completely dependent on Jimmy and my parents for… almost everything.  So, if not July 8th, then my goal will be July 15th, which I really feel like will be more realistic.  At this time, I do not think I could return to work on July 8th.  Oh sob, that sucks.  I miss you guys and I miss working.  I miss DCs and registering students, I do.

OK, give my love to all at CSU Global and please extend my gratitude for the support I’ve received from so many.  I like receiving cards in the mail… 3450 West Alamo Place, Littleton, CO  80123.  You have my permission to share info about me with others.

Keeping hope close,

Susan

No comments: