Tuesday, July 18, 2006

4th of July

So much is happening that I find it challenging to summarize our adventures.

We went to Boulder and I gave a tour of the University of Colorado's campus to Jimmy and Elizabeth. Jimmy was amazed at the beauty and size of my college.

Then we continued the tradition of $1 tacos and Jimmy met about 10 of my friends, which I am sure was overwhelming, but it was great.

On the 4th of July, we watched the World Cup game in the day, and then we all went to the Rockies (professional baseball) game at Coors field. Jimmy said the stadium was unbelievable and he was so impressed with the firework show afterwards. He also enjoyed the light-rail train that we all took to and from the game. Jimmy asked me why we don't have parades on the 4th of July holiday, and I did not have a good answer, other than the tradition is to have fireworks.

We went over to my dear friend Angela Magnotta's house and Jimmy had so much fun jumping on a trampoline for the first time, with Payson and Maggie.

Payson is a really good teacher to Jimmy. The other day Payson did the United 50 States puzzle with Jimmy and taught him where every state is and a little fact about each state.

Jimmy likes all the micro-brews.

Jimmy laughed as he cleaned the driveway with our electric blower. Ahhh, the machines that we have in the States.

We also ate "Carb Freedom" icecream. Ahhh, the diet fads that we have in the States.

Jimmy's English is awesome. It is truely incredible how quickly he is learning.

His new funny word is "shaft" and he shouted that word as he was looking at old pictures with my dad and he saw a picture of the Washington Memorial. Ha!

Some new sayings are: "Suck it up." "It is not the end of the world." "To get a kick out of it." "On and off." And so much more.

Jimmy did an excellent job explaining to my family why English is so hard. He used the example of pronunciation: "face" and "surface." "mouth" and "plymouth."

This trip has been so fun so far. Both Jimmy and I were very sad to take our friend Elizabeth to the airport tomorrow, because we had passed a perfect week with her, and we love her so much.

No comments: