Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Email to friends and family - It’s all about love, gratitude and kindness


I am writing to share an update about my health. 

I went to the ER seven months ago today.  That date seems so long ago, as if time has gone by slowly.  I remember reading about my first diagnosis, Bell’s Palsy, and learning that it could take up to six months to get better.  I never thought back then that I would still be struggling with this illness in 2020.  Then, I remember reading about my second diagnosis, Ramsay Hung Syndrome, and being told by the Neurologist that this could take months to years to heal.  It’s hard to accept that I am still sick and not better yet.

Although, I am getting better.  I’m not healed yet, though, but I am healing. 

A good sign, no, a great sign is that I’m back to work.  I returned to CSU Global last week on Tuesday and received the warmest welcome from my colleagues.  It felt good to connect with people I’ve missed so much and who expressed how much they had missed me too, with abundant offers of support and help.  I’m taking it very slowly as I transition back to the routine so that my body can continue to heal.  I would not want to have a relapse.  I’m so thankful I can work full-time at home and that my employer allows some flexibility for me to readjust to having a work schedule while still going to a few weekly medical appointments. 

So mentally, my spirit is up and I am filled with gratefulness.  I affirm that life is all about kindness and being kind is all about love and gratitude. 

Physically, I am stronger, have less pain and able. 

However, I admit I still have a long way to go.  The virus really destroyed a lot of my nerves in my left scalp, skull, ear, face and throat.  All of my five senses were thus effected.  Even though the facial paralysis got better after a few months, it takes a long time to regrow nerves and rehab muscles.  My left ear’s hearing is still recovering as is my left tongue’s taste buds and my left nostril’s sense of smell.  The hardest part to heal is my left eye because the six muscles that move the eyeball and affect our vision are very precise, so I still have eye pain from eye strain and blurriness.  My final comment about my body is about the pain I really continue to have in my left ear that barely seems like it is easing up.  I am not in bed anymore all the time though and people won’t know there is anything ill with me by my appearance. 

On a good note, I stopped taking the nerve pain medicine in mid-December.  While I give thanks I had access to such powerful medicine, I am grateful I am off those pills because they really effected my brain.  I still can’t believe I was taking nine pills a day.  Now, I utilize herbal eardrops and CBD oil when my ear pain is intolerable. 

Also on a good note is that my yoga practice is consistent, powerful and nurturing for my mind, body and soul.

I started doing physical therapy with a company called zHealth over a month ago that focuses on the nervous system and that’s been very helpful to rehabilitate my muscles and stimulate my nerves.  I also started about a month ago getting five lidocaine shots in my upper left back/neck every two weeks to help reduce the pain. 

I’d like to give the biggest shout-out that the human language allows me to express to my dear husband.  Jimmy has been extremely loving, supportive, reliable, selfless and comforting throughout this whole illness.  My boys have also amazed me with their resilience, understanding, protectiveness and even patience.  My parents have been present, dedicated and supportive.  My brothers too have been affectionate, caring and helpful.  I have so many friends to honor too and I thank each one of you who has been with me over the past seven months. 

While sick, I read a book called “The Art of Hearing Heartbeats” over the summer and there is a paragraph that I remember that influenced my perspective on life.  It explains how every single human being experiences illnesses, injuries and accidents.  Either directly or indirectly, either short-term or long-term, either minor or major, it is human to get sick, get hurt and have health issues.  This is important for me to realize because it reminds me that hardships are to be expected and I must remember that I can survive most problems that arise.  Most importantly though, I think being there for others when they are in the midst of an illness, injury or accident is vital to our survival.  Life has pain and we can help each other endure.  Love gives hope to those who are sick and hurt.  Again, it’s all about love, gratitude and kindness, especially in times of need, pain and suffering. 

I conclude this update with the simplest reflection from my experience over the past seven months.  Human connections help people make it through life’s challenges.  Whether with a stranger one time, with a friend tons of times or with family periodically, connecting with each other by expressing love and gratitude is the kindness way we can support each other between our birth and final breath. 

Namaste,

Susan

#RamsayHunt
#RamsayHuntSyndrome

No comments: