Monday, November 11, 2019

Email update to colleagues on 11/11 - Rising Strong - Ramsay Hunt Syndrome



To date, my last update was 10/11 and I write exactly one month later on 11/11.

Let us thank those who have served our country in the military today on Veteran’s Day, including my father who was a Navy Commander for 28 years.

I’ve stopped counting the weeks since I went to the ER on 6/15.  Instead, I’m aware that this Friday the 15th will be 5 months.  I’ve been sick and out of work for several months.  And I’m still sick with this terrible illness.

After the negative experience at the neurologist’s office about a month ago when I saw his nurse practioner and she did not know what Ramsay Hunt Syndrome was, I attempted to take control of my own treatment.   The nurse practioner had doubled my medicine without instructions even after I told her I want to stop taking all the medicine, so I doubled my medicine the next day and I completely lost my mind in that I could not think from being so drugged.  I then decided to stop taking the 9 pills by removing 1 pill a day, which I did for 9 days and it was awfully unsuccessful.  The pain came back, bad, like it was in June and I was broken-hearted to realize I had not gotten better at all.  So, I ramped myself back up on the medicine adding 1 pill back in each day.  It is so conflicting for me to take all this medicine knowing I need it to combat the rampant pain even though I don’t like taking pills. 

I went to a new neurologist last week, Dr Luisa.  It’s my mom’s neurologist and this doctor is out of network, so my mom is paying out of pocket and she thus went with me.  This neurologist is my age and dresses like me.  She was very nice, thorough and took a long time with me listening to my story and asking questions.  I told her I am either in extreme denial about having RHS or my instinct is correct and I have something else.  She also questioned if I really have RHS and committed to doing some research to see what else could be causing me so much pain after the initial facial paralysis.  She wants to go back to the beginning and re-do many of the tests including a MRI of my brain with contrast to see how badly damaged my cranial nerves are and to do more bloodwork.  I am so desperate I am willing to do these tests and even told her I am willing to do some injection shots into my skull to help with the pain.  However, she emailed me this morning and said she thinks the RMS is actually correct and gave me this article link to read.  I am scheduled to return to her on 11/29 and hope the insurance approves these tests so I can get them done before I see her again in a few weeks.  

I’m continuing with yoga and it is helping me get stronger physically as well as it gives me a place and space to process all of my emotions from this experience.

Also, I am still going to the chiropractor and acupuncture once a week.

I just read Brene Brown’s “Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice” and really liked it.  

I am taking a whole bunch of vitamins and supplements as well, like turmeric and even a 10 mushroom powder that is supposed to boost the immune system and a B Complex that is like fuel for the nervous system.

So, I am trying my hardest to get better and heal.

I want to stop feeling and fearing this pain.  I want to return to my life and work.  I want this experience to be over. 

I am aware of the many changes that occurred as of late.  I imagine that was very hard in many ways for you all.  I hope you all support each other and take care of yourselves to process all of your emotions from that experience.  Breathe, keep your chins up and practice gratitude. 

I am hoping with all my soul that I can do my job again as a Sr. EC after the holidays, w/o this pain and all of this medicine. 

Tell everyone hi and thank you for allowing me to email you with my updates.  I miss you all and I wish you all well (I dedicate this song to you each),

Susan

#RamsayHuntSyndrome



No comments: