Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Costa Rica to Nicaragua with Jimmy & my parents

I am here in Granada with my Mom and Dad. Today was a huge cultural experience for Mom and Dad because we took an 8 hour bus ride and crossed the Costa Rican/Nicaraguan border. We walked around Granada a little bit today, and it is such a beautiful and poor/rich place. The rich/poor gap is astonoshing. Jimmy got really nostalgic at dinner and started to tell my parents about his family´s experience during the war. He was conceived in the year that the war started. He talked about playing as a little boy in the small bomb shelter that his parents dug in their back yard. Jimmy explained how fortunate his parents were before the war, in that they had a nice house and jobs, and then the war displaced them, so they lost EVERYthing. Jimmy said that he does not know all of his family because they have been displaced and he meets a new family member everytime he comes to Nicaragua. I am never ceased to be surprised by how much I learn about my husband when I come to Nicaragua, because his memories open up and she shares so many of his memories. Jimmy teaches me so much and I can feel his happiness when we are in his home country.

No comments: