Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 1 at work, Day 2 out on the town

My co-worker Lorna knocked on my dorm room door at 7am, instead of 8am, because she had mixed up the time. Ha! I answered the door groggily and she was all ready for work. Ha ha!

Work today was…interesting. I feel like I was busy the whole day, but I do not really know what I accomplished. The dynamic of the New York team is very different than that of my Costa Rican team and adjusting to another work environment can be a fragile transition. I tried to organize myself and make a plan for the week, but I felt like a chicken with its head cut off since there seems to be a complete lack of an agenda for this “intense Admissions week.” Hmmm.

After work, Lorna and I met up with my yoga mentor, Alanna Estes. She was my mentor during my yoga teacher training three years ago in Colorado. Alanna and I had not see each other for over two years, but we quickly caught up on our growth over the past few years and then talked like friends. Even though she is, and always will be, my yoga mentor. I look up to me and she inspires me because her positive energy is radiant and her smile is calming. I respect Alanna greatly, so enjoying some tea in east side Manhattan was a pleasant experience while it slightly rained.

After drinking tea with Alanna, Lorna and I walked around that part of Alphabet City, and had some falafel for dinner. Then we took the subway to Little Italy, where we met up with Nicoletta, a past Friends World student. We ate delicious gelato, and the met up with another past Friends World student from Japan named Nochi. We went to another restaurant and alas, I ate more gelato, while they enjoyed Italian beer and pizza. It is times like these that make me realize how impacting this job has been on my life because I have made so many friends that travel all over the world. Our conversations are intellectual and motivating. The students that I have worked with from Friends World/Global College are extraordinary human beings that help me appreciate the uniqueness of my job.

No comments: